It’s National School Choice Week. To aid our understanding, here’s a quick snapshot of school choice and trends in North Carolina.
|Student Enrollment in Major
NC Education Choice Options
2010-11 to 2016-17
|2010-11||Percentage of Total||2016-17||Percentage of Total||Percentage Increase|
|Traditional Public Schools [i]||1,409,895||86.4 percent||1,428,051||81.8 percent||1.2 percent|
|Public Charter Schools[ii]||41,238||2.5 percent||90,393||5.1 percent||119.1 percent|
|Private Schools [iii]||96,229||5.9 percent||97,721||5.6 percent||1.5 percent|
|Home Schools[iv]||83,609||5.1 percent||127,847||7.3 percent||52.9 percent|
Note: Percentages may not add to one hundred due to rounding.
- Traditional public schools still enroll the overwhelming majority of students (82 percent). However, in recent years that number has been declining.
- Public Charter schools are the fastest growing parental choice option, up 119 percent since 2010-11. Charter schools now enroll over 90,000 students.
- The number of students enrolled in private schools has grown slowly in recent years, reversing several years of decline.
- Private school enrollment gains have been aided by passage of the Opportunity Scholarship and Special Needs Scholarship programs.
- The strong and continued growth of home school enrollment makes it the second most popular educational option, surpassing enrollment of both charter schools and private schools.
[i] ADM Enrollment, see: Statistical Profile of the Public Schools of North Carolina, available online at: http://apps.schools.nc.gov/ords/f?p=145:3:::NO:::
[ii] ADM Enrollment, see: Statistical Profile of the Public Schools of North Carolina, available online at: http://apps.schools.nc.gov/ords/f?p=145:3:::NO:::
[iii] Data from Directory of Non-Public Schools Statistics for specific years, See: State of North Carolina Private Grade School K-12 Statistics. See: https://ncadmin.nc.gov/citizens/private-school-information/state-north-carolina-private-grade-k-12-school-statistics
[iv] Data from North Carolina Home School Statistical Summary for specific years. Available online at: https://ncadmin.nc.gov/citizens/home-school/non-public-education-resources-stats