Governor Pat McCrory today announced that he has signed an executive order that affirms some portions of the recently passed House Bill 2 and clarifies other portions. According to a press release, Executive Order 93 does the following:
- Maintains common sense gender-specific restroom and locker room facilities in government buildings and schools
- Affirms the private sector’s right to establish its own restroom and locker room policies
- Affirms the private sector and local governments’ right to establish non-discrimination employment policies for its own employees
- Expands the state’s employment policy for state employees to cover sexual orientation and gender identity
- Seeks legislation to reinstate the right to sue in state court for discrimination
In his statement, Gov. McCrory reiterated the need for HB2 to address the ordinance in Charlotte. “This government overreach was a solution in search of a problem,” he said.
You can also read more about the Governor’s Executive Order at NC Capitol Connection.