Now that Gov. Perdue is officially sworn in, just wanted to take a few minutes and thank former Governor Mike Easley for all the great things he left our state with during his eight years in office:
1. The Lottery – just think where our education system would be without it? And just think how our state's citizens would be better off with that $1 billion back in their pockets.
2. The DOT – Sen. Rand sends a special thanks for you letting him basically run the place for the past 8 years. Cause, you know, it's vitally important that Fayetteville get an outer loop before Charlotte, Raleigh or Greensboro. It's "their turn."
3. The mental health crisis – Gov. Easley's asleep at the wheel approach usually works for most governing in NC, but he might have actually wanted to pay attention to silly things like care for the most needy in the state.
4. COPS and State Debt – Under Gov. Easley, per capita debt has doubled and the use of non-voted approved debt has flourished. In fact, there wasn't even a bond referrendum held during his tenure, yet the state accumulated close to $3 billion in new debt.
5. The Randy Parton Theater – I don't think I'll ever forget the image of Randy coming out the back door of the theater telling the WRAL reporter, "Well, I guess we got throwed out."
Oh that's enough for now, but if you have any other things you'd like to thank former Gov. Easley for, please post below. (And Gerlach, if you're reading this, we know what you're thankful for.)