Hats off to the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) for being the first labor union (that I know of) to itemize and make publicly available the amount it spends on political spending vs. collective bargaining expenses.
You’ll recall this recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that allows employees to opt out of having their union dues to be used for political activities. The AFT estimates that it spends approximately 68% of the money it collects on collective bargaining or "chargeable expenses." Thus leaving 32% or roughly $44.4 million being spent on expenses "of an idealogical or political nature and not germane to work-interests of employees."
$44.4 million from just one organization, all unchecked and unregulated and all to advance the unions’ socialist agenda.
And you know this is just the tip of the iceberg. The AFT doesn’t have near the membership of the NEA, Teamsters, SEIU or AFL/CIO. So you can only imagine how much more is being spent on political activities that we don’t know about. Hopefully this will be a sign of things to come and more unions will disclose just how much of its workers money is being used to advance the radical left wing agenda.