The Civitas Institute seeks a new Director of Development to help guide the organization into its next phase of growth. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in fundraising or related field.
About the Civitas Institute:
The mission of the Civitas Institute is to fight to remove barriers to freedom so that all North Carolinians enjoy a better life. Located in Raleigh, Civitas serves as “North Carolina’s Conservative Voice,” telling citizens the truth about state government the mainstream media won’t discuss and holding legislators accountable when they violate limited-government principles.
Founded in 2005, Civitas has experienced tremendous growth, and has been instrumental in victories such as the historic 2013 tax reforms, the creation and expansion of school choice programs, and the placing on the ballot this fall of a constitutional amendment requiring photo ID for those voting in person.
The position can be based in our Raleigh offices or may work virtually from another location in North Carolina.
The Civitas Director of Development responsibilities include:
- Manage the overall development functions for the organization, including the management of donor relationships for the President and CEO
- Lead annual development planning for the organization
- Manage and direct department resources; implement an integrated fundraising strategy ensuring budgeted income goals are met
- Manage portfolio of 100-150 major donors
- Develop and implement a strategic development plan to grow Civitas’ budget and donor base
- Cultivate donor relationships and solicit gifts through in-person visits, phone calls and correspondence
- Grow major gifts program including the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of current and prospective donors
- Work with the Civitas team to manage the development and execution of solicitation campaigns, including direct mail
- Work with the Civitas team to plan events that advance fundraising goals
- Manage foundation grant proposal writing and stewardship
- Work with the CEO, EVP, and Board to support development efforts
- Represent the organization at national, state, and community functions
- Prepare regular analysis of budget and fundraising trends for CEO, EVP, and Board
- Three to five years of professional experience in fundraising or related field such as sales or client relations
- Knowledge of foundation grants, corporate gifts, events, and individual development preferred
- Experience managing the development and execution of solicitation campaigns, including direct mail preferred
- Record of creating successful fundraising events and soliciting gifts of $5,000 and above preferred
- Alignment with Civitas’ core values and mission; ability to articulate the role that Civitas plays in North Carolina and its comparative advantage among policy organizations within the state
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; excellent presentation skills and high attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Professionalism and mature judgment
- Strong organization skills; ability to take initiative and produce work on tight deadlines
- Integrity in managing sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to identify audiences needs and tailor messages to those needs
- Collaborative spirit, works well with colleagues and leadership in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM platforms preferred
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, internet-based research, and social media
- Basic understanding of WordPress websites is preferred
- Willingness to travel within North Carolina when necessary and frequently meet with donors (donor meetings comprise an estimated 30% of time, travel varies based on office location in NC)
This position pays a competitive salary and also provided benefits, including: paid health insurance coverage for employee, 401(k) plan with company match, flexible spending account and life and dental insurance options.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing a) your philosophical interest in this position and the mission of Civitas, b) if relevant, your preferred location in North Carolina, and c) your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.