Legislative conferees have come to an agreement on a $20.1 billion budget deal. The document must now be approved by both houses. Major education highlights include:
- 1.2 percent pay increase for state employees and teachers
- Monies for community colleges and UNC pay increases which equate to 1.2 percent increase
- Also included in the budget are major provisions of the Excellent Public Schools Act (SB 795)
Identify and remediate 3rd grade reading problems
End social promotion
Establish NC Teacher Corps
Develop LEA merit pay program
Add 5 additional days to the school year
- No changes to teacher career status, a major component of the Excellent Public Schools Act, were included in the agreement.
- Also not included in the agreementl was the Scholarship Funding Corporate Tax Credit (HB 1104) which the House had attached to SB 795. The bill must still be approved by both the House and the Senate.