Sarah Arnett at the Mercatus Center has put together a number of interesting maps ranking the fiscal condition of the 50 states by various indices such as cash solvency, budget solvency, long-run solvency and service-level solvency. She also has a map that combines her four indices to provide an overall long-term ranking of states by fiscal condition. Access it here.
I hope Sarah doesn’t mind if I add some other interesting information, care of our friends at State Vote
Top Ten Ranked States by Fiscal Solvency
- Legislative Control – 8 – Republican; 1 Split; 1 N/A (Nebraska Unicameral)
- Governor’s Party – 9 Republicans; 1 Democrat
- State Control: 7 – Republicans; 2 – Split ; 1 N/A (Nebraska Unicameral)
Bottom Ten Ranked States by Fiscal Solvency
- Legislative Control – 8 Democrats; 1 – Republican, 1 – Split
- Governor’s Party – 8 Democrats ; 2- Republicans
- State Control – 7 Democrats ; 1 – Republican; 2 – Split
Detect a pattern?… Just thought you might be interested.